Builders and Groundwork Contractors in Saffron Walden | An Introduction to Planning Permission Requirements

Are you organising a home improvement or development project? Whether you’re interested in house extensions, property renovations or new builds, there are many things to consider during the vital early stages. Chief among these is planning permission. The need for approval from the local authority in Saffron Walden varies depending on the project at hand, not to mention the kind of property you have and an array of site-specific variables. Fortunately, our builders and groundwork contractors can clarify everything for you.

As a customer-focused company, Cooper & Wells Construction covers all your planning consent requirements. If your project needs permission, we can prepare and submit the application on your behalf. However, we can also find innovative ways to ensure your design complies with permitted development guidelines. Compliant plans don’t need prior approval.

We have looked below at the planning needs relating to some of our most popular projects. To schedule an initial consultation with one of our builders, please call us on 07817 972 488.

Planning Permission and Your Project

House Extensions

As a homeowner, you have certain permitted development rights. If your extension fits within the stated limitations, you can bypass the additional hassle associated with certain types of building work.

Generally speaking, single-storey additions usually qualify as a permitted development. Due to their size and scale, double-storey house extensions, much like new builds, almost always need approval.

Some of the most popular ways to comply with permitted development rights include:

• Extensions that don’t exceed over half the land surrounding the original house. The term “original house” refers to its state in 1948, or when newly built if after this date
• Extensions that don’t reach beyond of the side elevation onto a highway or beyond the principal elevation
• Extensions that don’t reach beyond the tallest part of the roof. The maximum height for a single-storey addition is 4m
• Extensions with a single storey must not reach beyond the original house’s rear wall by more than 8m for detached homes or 6m for any other property

The above only scratches the surface of permitted development rights and extensions. If you want to extend your home in Saffron Walden, or carry out property renovations, our builders and groundwork contractors will happily discuss the matter in more detail at a time and location convenient to you.

New Builds

Building a new property from scratch will almost always require planning permission. For example, if double-storey house extensions to existing homes in Saffron Walden need local authority consent, a brand-new home certainly will.

Because our team includes builders, groundwork contractors and the relevant tradespeople, we provide a start-to-finish service. This covers the preparation and submission of your planning permission application.

Factors that may affect the success of your application, known as ‘material considerations’, include, but aren’t limited to:

• Design, Appearance and Materials
• Impact on Conservation Areas
• Loss of Privacy/Overlooking
• Nature Conservation
• Access and Parking
• Traffic and Noise
• Highway Safety
• Loss of Light

The above also applies to home extensions and garden rooms that exceed permitted development limits.

Property Renovations

When it comes to renovating your Saffron Walden property, the need for planning permission applies on a case-by-case basis. Renovations come in all shapes and sizes, so we can’t confirm here whether your intended work requires local authority consent or not. The fastest way to get an accurate answer is to get in touch with us.

As a general rule, changes made within the existing structure of your property likely won’t require planning permission. However, this isn’t necessarily true if your project qualifies as a “change of use”.

As a rule of thumb, we strongly advise liaising with the Local Planning Authority (LPA) before starting your renovation. Our builders and groundwork contractors will assist in the process.

If your work begins without consent, and you need it, the LPA will serve you with an enforcement notice. This is an order to stop works and undo all the changes made. Of course, the same applies to unlawful house extensions and new builds too.

Call 07817 972 488 to speak with our builders and groundwork contractors about your home improvement or development work in Saffron Walden.